Monday, February 11, 2013

Spinach Pancakes

I love that these pancakes are GREEN! It makes eating them more fun. I love food and I love colorful things so this is a great combination. Another great thing about these pancakes is that they contain a whole serving of spinach. You can't taste the spinach AT ALL! I eat a decent amount of vegetables, but I never feel like I am getting enough. These pancakes are a great way to get a little extra veggies in. They are also a great way to sneak veggies in for picky eaters. I found this recipe a little bit ago on one of my favorite blogs, www.petiteathleat.com.
The author, Courtney, is a fellow military wife. She posts some great recipes and food ideas. She is also extremely inspirational in the fitness department. If you don't go to her blog to check out her recipes, you should at least go on to look at her muscles! Seriously.

I tweaked the recipe a tiny bit (recipe below), but here is her original one.

Spinach Pancakes
serves one (makes 3 small pancakes)

1/2 cup pancake mix (preferably a healthy one)
1/3 cup almond coconut milk (regular milk would do)
1 cup fresh spinach
1/4 of a ripe banana

First I sprayed cooking spray on a frying pan and put it over low-medium heat. I blended all of the ingredients in a food processor until the batter looked well-mixed. I was surprised at how well the spinach blended. I poured about 1/3 of the batter on the frying pan. I flipped it after I saw bubbles starting to form on the surface (this took a few minutes, they didn't seem to cook as fast as regular pancakes). I cooked the pancakes one at a time, only because I used a small pan.

Courtney has 1 tbsp egg whites in her recipe, and a dash of cinnamon and vanilla. I cut out the egg and vanilla. I meant to use cinnamon, but I forgot! She also used regular almond milk, but I happened to have an almond/coconut blend.

I put PB2 in between the pancakes and topped the stack off with chopped walnuts and Maine maple syrup (I insisted on bringing my Maine maple syrup with us to Texas). I highly recommend that you try these pancakes. Maybe for St. Patrick's Day!?! Today was my trial run with them. I wanted to make sure they tasted good before making them for the husband, even though he is a more then willing guinea pig for my food adventures. Needless to say, they passed my test.

Aren't they lovely?



No comments:

Post a Comment