Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Shopping Trip #1 and Another Pancake Recipe

The husband and I did our grocery shopping at the commissary this past weekend. Most of the foods there seem to be cheaper than they are at regular grocery stores, and they don't add sales tax. Bottled water was our most prized find of the trip. We got 32 bottles of Aquafina for $3.29! Also, meat. Meat is always WAY cheaper there. We ended up spending about $99. It would have been closer to $94, but I went a little overboard on tipping the baggers. I haven't quite figured out that system yet.

Some of my planned meals for the week are protein spinach oatmeal, flourless banana pancakes, breakfast tacos, pretzel crusted cod fish with spinach parmesan, spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs, and something with shrimp. So far this week we have already had bbq pulled pork and huge salads with chicken, cucumber, carrots, apples, and guacamole.

I have posted some pancake recipes on here already, but I am going to give you another. This one is my current favorite, and it's so easy!

Ingredients:
1 egg
1 ripe banana
Optional:
dash of cinnamon and/or vanilla
tsp of Greek yogurt, any flavor (I used plain)

Directions:
1. Place a frying pan on the stove and turn the heat on low-medium. I use a tiny bit of butter to grease the pan.
2. In a bowl, mash the banana and try to make it as lump-free as possible. Add the egg and mix well. Add in optional ingredients if you choose to use them.
3. Pour about 1/4 of the batter into the pan to form one pancake. This recipe makes about 4 small pancakes. You can cook all 4 at once depending on how big your pan is.
4. Flip them when they start to bubble around the edges. Be careful, they are delicate!

Today I added in the Greek yogurt for the first time. I didn't really notice a difference between using the yogurt or not using it. They taste great either way! The yogurt does add in a little extra protein though. I topped my pancakes with coconut butter, chopped almonds, blueberries, and a tiny bit of maple syrup. The pancakes have quite a bit of natural sweetness from the banana, and they are super soft and moist, so the syrup isn't really necessary. My husband isn't wild about these pancakes, he thinks the banana and egg combo make them soggy/taste undercooked. I love them though! 



No comments:

Post a Comment